Thursday 29 August 2013

I'm A PES(ce)T!

Hey Guys! 

So this is  post 1 which will feature sort of a weight loss / about my diet / lifestyle choice esque information which I have been meaning to write ever since I starting blogger at the beginning of summer, and just didn’t have the balls to do. I couldn’t be more nervous about posting this if I tried, but, I have convinced myself though if it will help only one person it worthwhile posting!


So through a series of events (starting from 2 years ago when I started uni) I felt I’ve gained a lot of weight, which I noticed a lot more this past year, which was making me feel very down in the dumps, so I naturally began a deep re-evaluation of my lifestyle.


One of the major decisions I took was to become a pescetarian, which for those of you who don’t know, is a vegetarian who eats fish and seafood. I made this decision for 2 main reasons.

1) Being a student. I can only afford the vilest of meats, the ones with about 80% water in, I was just becoming bored with the taste and texture and wasn’t enjoying eating meals anymore

     2)  I also challenge you to name a fat vegetarian. (I am aware there are a few… damn you cheese…but you get what I am saying)

With eating fish, you are still able to gain a wider variety nutrients, have a wider menu selection so you’re not feeling so restricted; It has just been a guideline to making healthier food choices and to get me back into eating proper meals again rather than just eating junk so I avoid the dreaded water infested meat.


If this is a decision you are thinking about making yourself, there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, is anyone you are living with an omnivore? For example, I am currently living with my parents, grampy and brother who are all omnivores and we always eat the same meal at dinner together. So I had to consider the implications of changing my diet, as in would I have to make my own separate dinner every night etc, Luckily for me because of gramps we have very ‘English’ meals. Meat, Potato, Veg. So switching the meat for a veggie side wasn't too difficult.

Another subject that may be interest you… you may want to look into sustainable farming of fish and research into how they’re are cultivated if that’s a subject that matters to you, as sourcing our fish can have a massive impact on the environment and other such things.

Also, without trying to make you all sound dumb, you don’t eat fish or seafood every day. I’d say I would have it about 3 times a week. This is because if you eat too much fish you can get high levels of certain substances, reportedly mercury which could be… problematic.

One more thing... I would advise to slowly change your diet. maybe only eating one veggie meal a week or removing one type of meat from your diet and make the change slowly, as myself and a few other people I know who took meat out of their diet felt really ill a week or so in! It does pass after about two weeks but you just feel really tired and that you have no energy! Just to warn/advise!


Overall I would highly recommend considering it as a lifestyle choice. I have lost weight, improved my health and eaten a lot of new foods as well!

I would also like to give a shout out to Georgia at the pescetarian pantry, as I love looking at her recipes and her guide to becoming a pescetarian posts are also 10x better than mine!

If you still have any queries, feel free to ask! Tweet, Comment, Message whichever floats your boat!




Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment